30 Hours funding

You may be able to get up to 30 hours free childcare (1,140 hours per year, which you can choose how you take) if your child is 3 to 4 years old. At Little Oaks Pre- School you can claim 24 hours (this is all the time we are open) however you can split this with another child care provider to claim the full 30 hours.


What is the Criteria?

If you are working you can usually get 30 hours free childcare if you (and your partner, if you have one) are:
  • in work
  • on sick leave or annual leave
  • on parental, maternity, paternity or adoption leave
  • If you’re on parental leave, you cannot apply for the child you’re on leave for.
If you are not currently working

You may still be eligible if your partner is working, and you get Incapacity Benefit, Severe Disablement Allowance, Carer’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance.
You can apply if you’re starting or re-starting work within the next 31 days.

How much you earn
  • You’ll need to expect to earn a certain amount over the next 3 months. This is at least the National Minimum Wage or Living Wage for 16 hours a week on average.
  • If you have a partner, they’ll need to expect to earn at least this much too.
  • If you’re self-employed and do not expect to make enough profit in the next 3 months, you can use an average of how much you expect to make over the current tax year.
  • This earnings limit does not apply if you’re self-employed and started your business less than 12 months ago.
  • If you or your partner have an ‘adjusted net income’ over £100,000 in the current tax year you will not be eligible. This includes any bonuses you expect to get.
  • Your adjusted net income is your total taxable income before any personal allowances and minus things like Gift Aid.
Your partner

Your partner’s employment and income will affect your eligibility if you are:

  • married or in a civil partnership and live together
  • not married or in a civil partnership, but living together as though you are

Their employment and income will not affect your eligibility if they:

  • are or will be absent from your household for more than 6 months
    are a prisoner
Your child
  • You will not be eligible if your child does not usually live with you.
  • If you foster your child, you cannot use the online application to get 30 hours free childcare. Speak to your social worker and your local authority if you want to apply.
Your nationality
  • You will not be eligible if you’re from outside the EEA and your UK residence card says you cannot access public funds.

Your partner can apply instead if they’re from:

  • the UK or EEA
  • outside the EEA and their UK residence card says they can access public funds

How do I apply?

All you need to do is fill in a 30 hours free childcare registration form (linked below). You will then be given a unique code, you can then give this to Jill and we can claim your funding via the Government. you will need to do this every term to prove you circumstances have not changed. to fill out the form you will need:

  • National Insurance number (yours and your partners)
  • Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR), if you’re self-employed (yours and your partners)